How to make money online in Kenya Source: slidesgo / Freepik
Making money from online writing jobs is one of the most popular ways among young people to earn income in Kenya. According to a recent study, 80% of students in the country are engaged in some form of online writing job. Having been following this for a long time, I think online writing took off from early 2007. University students with a good grasp of English discovered they could make a tidy some doing writing gigs for foreign writing companies. It should be noted that in the early days all of these companies were foreign-based.
The kind of writing here is mostly that of academic-based. However, professional writing such as copyrighting is starting to gain wide acceptance as many seek to make a career out of writing. I know of many guys who have taken online writing jobs as a full-time career. They have completely dropped their quest for formal employment
Online writing jobs in Kenya have witnessed exponential growth to the extent that local companies offering such services have sprung up lately. These companies are owned by previous more experienced writers and what they do is that they get work online and sub-contract this to other writers splitting the payments.
The good thing about writing jobs in Kenya is that once you have mastered the art, you can make very good pay from it. Our being a tier-3 country the payments, usually made in dollars translates to meaningful income.
If are looking for a guide on how to make money from online writing jobs in Kenya, you have come to the right place. This complete guide will take you through all that you need to become a successful writer and earn from your effort.
Learn about our online writing course and start making money today
At digitalopportunities.net we even have a coaching program priced affordably for beginners. This training, which is self-paced will see you through the basics to assisting you to get an account and implementing your first real assignment. That is something you definitely should try because it costs a cheaply KES 4500 only. Let’s do this.
How do I become an online writer?
To embark on your quest to make your first $100 from online writing jobs, you need certain prerequisites:
- First, the importance of fluent spoken and written command of English cannot be overemphasized. If you are not confident about your English, you can take some courses on Coursera, edX, or Udemy to boost your English. This is absolutely critical for your success. I also suggest you do a lot of reading (academic papers) on google scholar.
- Master the critical aspects of writing. These are plagiarism, citation styles, structure/type of writing, etc. All these are covered in our course mentioned here about online writing jobs in Kenya.
- Write: you want to become a writer? Just write. I know writer block is real and that is why I insist to benefit from online writing jobs available in Kenya, Taking a course, like ours above is a good idea. With each practice, writing should become fulfilling and enjoyable rather than a dreaded chore. Continuously take assignments and execute them to completion. Work with passion and deliver on time. Don’t give up mid-away.
- Start small. Find a local contractor and start writing for them. Take simple and short writing gigs to sharpen your skills the Graduate to lengthy complex assignments that pay well when you have gained more confidence. While there is nothing wrong with registering your own account with popular writing companies, you risk a permanent ban if you submit substandard work. Note that most of these companies are made up of a chain of sister companies, essentially related but under different names.
- Have the right mindset. Writing is not an easy money-making scheme. Far from it. You will toil and sweat to the last dollar cents paid. This can be a very demanding job bearing in mind the time difference and other requirements. Sometimes you will find yourself awake all night to complete or revise that urgent order. You may not leave your house for days on end. Encouragingly, with online writing jobs, you will be rewarded handsomely at the end of the payment cycle if you complete many orders. Keep in mind that errors, plagiarism, and poor quality work are penalized. A subsequent repeat of the same can lead to summary dismissal.
With the right mindset, you may be pondering what tools do I need to embark on my writing career? This follows next.
5 must-have tools to excel in online writing job in Kenya
To realize economic gains from online writing jobs in Kenya you need the right tools for the job. It goes without saying productivity is directly proportional to having the right tools for the tasks. Online writing is no different. What most bloggers don’t tell you is that a little capital to purchase the right tools will go a long way in saving you endless revisions and pay cuts from penalties and omissions?
If you take online writing jobs seriously then you should invest in the following productivity tools:
- Online grammar checker and plagiarism tools. These are absolutely important. If a native English speaker saw the need to invest and develop these tools so should you. The majority of online writing jobs in Kenya are English-based. The truth of the matter is that no company or local subcontractor will tolerate plagiarism and grammar mistakes. These tools will save you time in terms of repeated revisions leaving ample raise your volumes and earn more.
- Register for Grammarly and Turnitin, the two most recognized services for checking grammar and plagiarism. Both have monthly and yearly plans. Grammarly currently costs $11.66 billed yearly translating to $140/KES 14,000 per year. The benefit of Grammarly is that it is all-purpose incorporating tone detector, grammar and plagiarism checker into one. This is an investment-worthy of your money if you want to benefit greatly from online writing jobs. Turnitin is majorly institution-focused but nonetheless the best plagiarism checker to date. You can check it out here.
- A personal computer (PC). A desktop or a laptop will suffice. However, I recommend a laptop with widescreen (at least 15.6”) with working battery. You do not want a power outage inconvenience when you are just minutes from an order deadline. If you have the funds, an additional desktop PC with enough RAM and a wide TFT at home will work just fine. Need help here?. Contact us for help on the best places to source your PC.
- Latest Microsoft Office -2019 Suite and Anti-virus program. MS Office is a key productivity tool for academic writers. The latest one come equipped with the most current citation styles. This is key to working with ease and speed. The importance of an Anti-virus program is obvious.
In our course, affordably priced, we equip you with the skills on how to automate citation and creation of references list in your work using the latest MS office suite. You with learning how to insert citations and automatically generate a reference list at the end of your assignment.
- Printer: sometimes you will need to print documents when your mind clouds up. At only KES 10,000 you can get a good HP printer from online market places such as Jumia, EBay or Amazon.
- Cloud storage solution: Storing your files in the cloud via Dropbox, Google Drive and the rest may save you headaches when your PC crashes or you documents get corrupted/disappear. I learnt this the hard way.
- UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply Unit). If you are serious about writing online for money you should consider getting a UPS.
Academic writing: plagiarism & citation styles
In your quest to monetize online writing opportunities in Kenya, your work apart from researching, drafting, and proofreading you papers, you will all along be handling the citation and plagiarism aspects of writing. You must know what plagiarism is and how to avoid it. It is a very serious offense in academic writing with dire professional and credibility consequences.
According to Wikipedia:
“Plagiarism is the representation of another author’s language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions as one’s own original work. Plagiarism is considered academic dishonesty and a breach of journalistic ethics.”
Plagiarism at the place of work Source: online
However, you do not need to worry so much about this. Plagiarism is covered exhaustively in our course. In the expertly curated course, we guide you through all the aspects of plagiarism. The benefit is that by completing the course you will have deep knowledge of plagiarism enabling you to produce clean text free of any false representations. This will not only boost your credibility but also save you time doing back-and-forth revisions that are annoying and time consuming.
Citation is the way you avoid plagiarism. That is appropriately acknowledging any source you use in your text inside the paragraphs and as a list at the end of the paper. As an academic writer sound knowledge of common referencing styles is paramount. In fact, before you are hired your knowledge of these styles will be tested. The most common referencing styles in academic writing are APA, MLA, Harvard, and Chicago. Once again we got you covered. Our online course guarantees you a complete understanding and implementation of citation in your work.
How to get an online writing job in Kenya; what is required?
A writing account is basically a set of username and password that enables you to access the backend of a writing company website to take or bid for writing assignments. You can opt to register for an own account or work under a local contractor. A local contractor who already has an account is tasked with taking up work and handing it over to you. Because most foreign companies have reached the threshold of a number of writers they can sustain, most have stopped hiring. For example, 4writers.net and researchwritingcentre.com are no longer recruiting.
Unlike earlier days, the current process of registration is very cumbersome and involving. In addition to an online sample essay test some companies will require you to submit a motivation letter, passport photo, application letter, a CV, pass a grammar and citation test, and also upload your ID and soft copies of your diploma or degree. After you have submitted all these, you will have to wait a fortnight for feedback on your application. You should be glad to know that we also offer these services. At a small fees, we shall prepare all the above. Yes, even the grammar test!
Should I register my own account or get hired?
First you have to understand that working under somebody is a sure way to lower payment per page. Most local contractors pay a flat fee of KES 250/page no matter what the mother-company pays them. How this standard fee was arrived at we may never know. However, on the brighter side working under a broker will set you off faster gaining the critical experience before you are ready to walk on your own.
You should be glad we provide registration services to our clients. At a fee, we scout out the best sites for you and prepare you for registration to ensure you own that account. Owning an account guarantees immense benefits in terms of earnings and freedom to pick the best assignment all by yourself.
We will prepare all requirements for you. Unlike other agencies, we do not ask for a cut once you start working. You will pocket ALL the earnings. Our mission to help you master the art of academic writing for maximum profits
How much can I make from online writing jobs in Kenya?
Source: pch. vector
Online writing jobs can be quite lucrative. With hard work and steady assignments you can actually make enough to sustain your basic living and remain with enough disposable income to “see the world”. However, you are better off with your own account than working under a local contractor. With a contractor, the earnings are split in half. Most contractors pay a flat rate of 200/per page. The more order you do the higher your earnings.
Additionally, online writing jobs have very little overheads. You only need a laptop and internet connection and importantly time. The rest is done by your brain. Unlike other hustles like affiliate marketing where you may spend a thousand to get traffic to your offers and end up with nil returns, online writing only takes up your time and a little inconvenience when you are awake at odd hours.
If you have a steady daily supply of say a 5-page assignment at a conservative $4/page, this translates to $20/day and $600 (KES 64,000) in a month (assumption: you own the account).
Best online Academic writing companies to work for in Kenya
There are hundreds of online writing companies with worldwide reach. Before presenting the complete guide about the best companies for online writing jobs in Kenya, you need to understand a few things terminologies:
- Cost Per Page (CPP): This is the average $ per page. Most companies offer English Native Speaker (ENS) writers higher CPP compared to English as Second Language (ESL) writers. This may be as high as a $20-margin. Despite enticing prices on their sites, the average CPP is around 6$(KES 600). For writers in developing countries this may be quite high in a local currency, hence the popularity of these jobs.
- Hiring Freeze: These companies have tendencies to freeze hiring during low season or when they deem they have the required quota of writers they need. Therefore, grab that opportunity to register and own your account before hiring is suspended.
- Registration requirements. You need to have a number of things ready. These requirements apply across all the writing agencies with slight variations. These include passport photo, CV, summarized biography, sample work, objective statement, university degree scan, ID copy, and payment providers (Payoneer, Skrill, PayPal, wire transfer, etc.).Having this prepared in-advance will save you time in your applications.
- Registration review period. Most companies take 7-14 days to review your application. The applications can be quite rigorous with grammar tests, writing prompts, citation styles exam, and sample essay forming part of the process. During this period you cannot access their website backend. Upon successful application, you should be able to access their backend dashboard. With your user active you can either “take order” or be assigned an order (assignment). With “assigned order” you do not have the freedom to choose work on your own. Many writers have complained this strategy disadvantages them in earnings and growth.
- Review checks: You can visit a review site to get a glimpse of how writers and customers rate a particular online writing company. A site like sitejabber.com offers writers/clients review of most online writing companies. You may get a snapshot of the support, payment, complaint handling, account termination, and general treatment of writers from this website. You can read about essayshark.com review here. You can enter the writing company name in the search bar to get its overall rating and clients reviews.
I think you have learnt a lot in this piece and I hope you are going to give yourself a firm foundation in your writing career by registering for our course highlighted through-out this post. It is now time to make the next leap and get to know about the top twenty best website to start your online writing job in Kenya. For purposes of good organization we provide, in my view, a well-written article about this website via an external link. This article goes deep in the key aspects of these companies namely: How much they pay, registration methods, suitability, easy of application, support, and much more hence our recommendation.